I am thrilled to announce that YBC is partnering up with Carley Smith of Fairy Gutmother to bring you a long weekend intensive yoga and gut healing wellness retreat. Carley is a dear friend of mine and a nutritional therapy practitioner who has helped so many people - myself included - in reclaiming their health and living their best lives. While most of my retreats are vacation-style, this one will be a little different. Sure, it's somewhat of a vacation (I mean, just check out the views!), but more importantly, its program is deeply rooted in healing and education so that you will leave feeling not only rejuvenated and relaxed, but armed with skills and know-how for making impactful life changes to improve the quality of your health and in turn, your life.
Based on our own personal health issues and subsequent triumphs, and based on Carley's clinical experience and formal education (she is a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and GAPS certified), we believe that optimal health begins in the gut, and that all disease can be traced back to gut health. If you're someone who is struggling with things like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint issues, inflammation, sleep issues, mood disorders, hormone imbalances, mild depression, anxiety, stress, digestive issues like IBS, skin issues like acne or rashes, etc, then this is the retreat for you. If you've struggled with weight (you either can't seem to lose it or you can't seem to gain it), this is the retreat for you. Basically, if you're not feeling 100% each and every day, this is the retreat to come to because the nutritional classes will help you get back on the right track, and the yoga program complements the nutrition classes so you can start feeling better immediately.
The nutrition classes are structured in a way that will leave you feeling empowered so you can return home and put healing protocol into practice so you can heal yourself from the inside out and feel better. The specialized yoga classes complement the program so you can use the yoga practice as a supplemental therapy to start feeling better right away. We'll also have a licensed massage therapist on site, and you're also welcome to book a one to one yoga and/or nutrition consult for additional opportunities for individualized healing.
We chose a luxury vacation rental on the southern Maine coast that is *almost* beachfront (less than a two minute walk, you can see the beach from the windows). The venue is beautiful, serene, quiet, and the perfect place for our little group to come together in pursuit of optimal health.
This retreat is for people who aren't feeling 100%. Perhaps you're experiencing chronic anxiety or mild depression. Perhaps your digestion has been off for a while and you're not quite sure what to do. Or maybe you are one of those people who has a ton of energy in the morning but by the afternoon you're completely exhausted. Or maybe you're struggling with weight issues. Regardless of what you're going through, all people - yes, all - will benefit from gut healing, so this is truly for everyone, but ultimately we're looking to help those people out there who are feeling less than great.
When and Where
June 1 - 4, 2017 in southern Maine (for safety, the exact address will be emailed to you once you sign up).
If you're within driving distance, there will be plenty of parking. If you'd like to fly, you can fly into Portland, Maine or Boston, Mass. From there, we can help organize a transfer.
Healthily Ever After Wellness Retreat Schedule
Thursday, June 1, 2017
- 5:00pm - Arrive after 5pm and get settled in.
- 6:00pm - 7:00pm - Welcome circle, gentle stretch and guided yoga nidra meditation with Candace
- 7:15pm - 8:15pm Dinner and Intro to the 70/30 Plan: A Guide To Living Healthy-Ever-After with Carley. Are you interested in eating healthier but don't know where to start? Have you tried countless diets and nothing seems to be sustainable? Or maybe you find yourself with inconsistent energy levels and overall feeling poorly? The Fairy Gutmother's 70/30 Plan focuses on 70 percent of the time eating healthier by breaking down our meals, analyzing our diet and lifestyle and focusing on ONE particular area of your diet to start. This plan educates you on how to slowly transition into sustaining a healthier lifestyle by learning how to meal plan as well. It also reviews the best foods to incorporate and avoid in order to maintain optimal health.
- 8:30pm - Optional add-on massage by our licensed massage therapist
Friday, June 2, 2017
7:30am - 8:45am - Hip Opening Workshop with Candace - We often hold a lot of emotion in our hips. Gently opening the hips up through this dynamic practice will help to release tension, leaving you feeling calm, relaxed, inspired, and ready for the day ahead.
9:00am - Guided intentional eating breakfast workshop. Calories don't count but your mindset does. This workshop will teach you how to eat intentionally so you can properly absorb and digest your food, ultimately further supporting your gut health.
10:00am - noon - Gut Health: Intro to Bone Broth with Bone Broth Demo - How to Make and Why It Is Important with Carley- Did you know roughly 80 percent of the immune system lies in the gut? This makes gut health critical in order to maintain optimal health. Dysfunction of the gut has been linked to many autoimmune illnesses as well as seasonal allergies and food intolerances. During this class, we will discuss the significance of gut health; revealing tips for maintaining a healthy gut like as well discussing how to make bone broth, one of the most gut healing and nourishing foods for our body.
12:00 noon - 4:30pm - Optional add-on for massage, or one to one consults with Candace or Carley. In between, head out to the beach to enjoy the beautiful views, or relax on the deck.
4:00pm - 6:30pm - Relax and Soothe - an Aromatherapy Yin Yoga Workshop - It's time to really slow it down and come into this delicious yin yoga practice. Yin is excellent for decreasing pain, lowering stress, and releasing tension throughout both the body and mind. We'll be using therapeutic grade essential oils to complement the practice. You can expect to feel deeply relaxed, restored and well on your way to optimal health by the end of the practice.
6:30pm - 7:30pm - Dinner
7:30pm - 8:30pm - Safe Zone Health Q&A with Carley and Candace - There's no such thing as a bad question! This is the time to ask questions that may have come up throughout the day during your free time that are related to health and wellness. We'll be completely at your disposal to help deepen your understanding of how nutrition and yoga can help you on your path to optimal health.
Saturday, June 3, 2017
7:30am - 9:00am - Yoga for Digestion - This educational flow class will incorporate yoga poses specifically designed to aid in digestion and decrease stress. We'll begin with a guided meditation and brief talk about various ways we can immediately prep our physical body for better digestion before diving into the yoga flow. Expect feel-good twists and a motivational talk to help inspire your practice and your life.
9:00am - Breakfast
10:00am - 11:00am - Round Table Discussion: The silent gut-killer followed by Q&A with Carley and Candace. This is the time to ask any questions that may have popped up over the weekend.
12:00 noon - 1:00pm Benefits of Healthy Fats with Carley - It is a common misconception that eating fat makes us fat! It is actually the complete opposite and in fact, eating fats are critical to maintaining a healthy metabolism, hormone production, balancing energy levels, optimal cellular function, and so much more. This class discusses the health benefits of fats as well as breaks down the different types and uses of fats as well as fats to avoid.
1:00pm - Lunch
5:30pm - 6:30pm - Yoga with Candace
6:45pm - Dinner
7:45pm - Opportunity for massage
Sunday, June 4, 2017
8:00 - Gratitude Breakfast
10:30am - All good things must come to an end - it's time to say goodbyes.
- three night luxury accommodation in room of choice
- all breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks made with exceptional quality ingredients (pasture raised meats, nourishing, gut-healing foods prepared by Carley, etc.)
- three nutritional courses and various cooking demos lead by Carley Smith, NTP
- five specialized yoga workshops and classes lead by Candace Moore, RYT
- all yoga mats and props for the weekend
- swag bag filled with goodies worth over $100 to help enhance your journey to optimal health
What's not included
- transportation to the venue
- travel insurance
- optional add-on massage by licensed massage therapist (45 min, $60. 1 hr, $80)
- optional add-on one to one yoga consults with Candace - Are you working on a specific pose? Have a question about something in the yoga practice? This is your chance to ask questions and seek help for your individual practice. (30 min, $45)
- optional add-on one to one nutrition consults with Carley - Have you been feeling unwell for a long time, tried everything and nothing is helping? Want to start improving your diet but aren't sure where to start? Carley offers this one to one service to help take a closer look on what's going on with you specifically, and will give you her expert advice on how to improve. (45 min, $55)
Queen room: Double occupancy - $1,120 each. Single occupancy: $1,350
King room: Double occupancy - $1,320 each. Single occupancy: $1,550
Carley and I are so excited about this retreat because we have both personally experienced major health issues and have both overcome them with support from better nutrition and the yoga practice and we know this is going to be life-changing for our participants. This transformational wellness retreat will do best with a small group, so space is limited. Book your spot and change your life now!
Terms and Conditions
- Due to the gut healing diet that is heavily rooted in traditional foods that include animal fats and meats, we are unable to accommodate vegetarian/vegan diets.
- No reimbursement will be granted in case of early departure.
- We accept no liability for loss, damage, injury or illness, which may occur during the retreat or traveling to or from the retreat.
- All students are strongly recommended to have their own travel insurance to cover any loss or injury, including repatriation if necessary. It is advisable to take out travel insurance in the event that you have to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances.
- We reserve the right to make any changes to our program, accommodation, courses or teachers. Alternative arrangements are offered to the best of our ability but if not taken up, we do not accept responsibility for any costs incurred, including airfare.
- We take every step to ensure that students are not stretched beyond the limit of their capabilities. We ask that you speak up if you have any particular pre-existing injury or illness that is relevant. We advise that you always listen to your body, and if you are feeling any pain or illness during the class that you stop and rest.
- Candace's 7 year old Siberian husky will be with us during the retreat. He is a sweet, gentle old guy, and loves meeting new people, but will totally leave you alone (unless you offer him a treat, in which case you've probably just made yourself a new best friend). Due to the dry nature of huskies' coats, they do not accumulate dander.