This is a sponsored post. While YBC was compensated for the post, all thoughts are our own. We are committed to working with brands we love and only featuring products we would use ourselves.
Let's talk funny stories at the gym. Many of you know that I'm based in Germany for a few months out of the year due to my husband's job. The first year we were here, I had just started working out at my new place, and I noticed that there are many differences in gym culture between Germany and the United States. One of the most glaringly obvious is how comfortable everyone seems to be with nudity. At all the gyms I've been to in Germany, I have never once seen changing stalls and only seen individual shower stalls at one. People just gear down, and shower together no problem. I mean, I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, but it was just...new to me.
So the first time I get in the shower, I sort of said a silent thank you that I was the only one in there. Then, of course, another girl walked in that I recognized as the girlfriend of my husband's co-worker. Who just so happened to be a six foot tall model. Like, an actual model, whose face you see throughout Germany in magazines and on billboards. We had met briefly once, but nothing more than a quick hello. And so panic ensured. Do I wave? Or am I not supposed to make eye contact?! What's the naked shower etiquette here?! Am I supposed to have, like, a casual conversation with her?! She rinsed off and left as I all but cowered in the corner trying to decide what to do.
It's hysterical now, because we wound up becoming really good friends, and I told her that story and she didn't even remember! That just goes to show you that often times, when you're feeling self-conscious, it's probably best to just get over yourself because no one is giving you a second thought. :)
Anyway, there's a point to this story. I want to talk about gym stuff. A few months ago I shared what's in my gym bag. With all the moving around I do, and as my gym routines change (I switch them up every few weeks), I realize that the contents of my bag change as well. This month I've been carrying around very little - just a jump rope and a new spritzer for my hair after I shower, and of course, shower shoes.
One of the best things about blogging is that I get to learn about all sorts of awesome new brands. This month, I wanted to share five products I'd for sure tote with me to the gym. And the good news is that one lucky person is going to win them all!
1. Coconut oil in a tube, $11.99 - Did I ever tell you how I am sort of like the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding who thinks that Windex is the cure-all for everything, except that instead of Windex I am all about coconut oil? I will use that stuff for everything including body lotion. But did I know there was a tube of pure coconut oil? No. I did not. I have been carrying around a giant glass jar of coconut oil to the gym with me. I would gladly switch out my heavy jar for a tube of coconut oil! This one from Coco Luxe Organic is unrefined, extra virgin and non-GMO.
2. Yoga mat length hot yoga towel, $54 - At the end of nearly every workout I'll go into the dance studio area and do a personal yoga practice. Lately I've been practicing my handstands, and I work up a crazy sweat, so this super absorbent hot yoga towel from NamaSTAY would come in handy. I love that it's mat-length and folds over the edged of the mat to ensure no slip.
3. Multi-purpose Bag, $82 - With all the travel I do, I am a big fan of bags that I can throw on my shoulder for the gym, or use as a carry-on bag. This LeSportSac from Montana Blues would be perfect.
4. Resistance Bands - I've actually been looking for some resistance bands to take with me when traveling because there is so much you can do with them for a workout on the go. These are great because they've got a cushioned handle for comfort, and have offer a variety of resistance from 5-10lbs, 15-20lbs and 20-25lbs.
5. Nail Polish, $5.99 each or $17.99 for 3 piece set - Growing up, I had this friend whose mom used to keep nail polish in her car. She'd leave the house five minutes early, get in her car, buckle up, polish her nails, and start driving. By the time she'd arrive, her nails would be dry! The other day I actually tried it, and felt like it was more efficient than walking around the house waving my hands, haha, but I threw the polish in my bag because it's winter and I didn't want it to freeze. I love this brand, Play Love Laugh, because their polishes are handmade, hand filled, 5-free, gluten-free, and come off with hot water!
To Enter the In The Bag Giveaway
I love getting to know you guys better, so let's talk fitness. What do you enjoy doing the most for staying fit? Are you more of a group fitness person or do you rock and roll solo? Any funny gym stories?
Terms for entry:
- All entries will be verified (i.e. make sure you leave a comment as well as entering using the box below).
- This giveaway is open to those in the USA. I feel badly about this, but each country has different rules for giveaways. (In Canada, for example, apparently a winner cannot be chosen by random, but rather, some element of skill must be involved?) So to open it up to everyone would mean adding additional rules to ensure it complies with each country's laws. I apologize.
- One winner will be chosen by random using Rafflecopter on February 23, 2015, and notified by email.
- The companies will be shipping each item separately. YBC will pass on the winners' info to each company, and then will not be responsible for communication/shipping between the winners and the companies.
If you have a separate email for promotional use, feel free to enter using that email address because by entering the giveaway, you consent to being added to the YBC weekly newsletter list and receiving occasional promotional emails from the participating brands.