It was only recently that I began looking for ways to get a little healthier. Due to Lyme disease, my immune system was a mess, and my body was a wreck. Whether it was something indulgent like a massage, or something as simple as switching to a non-toxic nail polish, any little way I could put less stress on my body and get a little healthier, I wanted to do it. As I regain more and more of my health I notice that I start slacking a bit on these little efforts, and old symptoms (joint pain and digestive issues, namely) start coming back. So I put together this little list to remind me (and maybe you too?) how easy it is to stay on track and how much our bodies can benefit.
1. Beeswax candles - Did you know that beeswax candles can purify the air? I had no idea! Big Dipper Wax Works sent me a few of their tins, which I love for a few reasons. A) They travel well, and we all know my little fam is like a traveling circus, B) They're totally natural - no synthetic anything, and C) At the price of a latte, they are affordable and make great gifts. The best part is that they're included in the giveaway. Oh, did I not mention I'm hosting a giveaway?! Read on for more.
2. Bee Venom Mask - If you're a skincare junkie, you might wanna get in on this. It's a bee venom mask from Gaiam that is supposed to stimulate the production of elastin and collagen. It can be used as a mask or a night cream, which I kind of love because I find it to be really hydrating so leaving it on overnight works best for me.
3. Polar heart rate monitor - I resisted a heart rate monitor for years because I just felt like it was both a hassle and pointless. Sweat is sweat, right? Wrong. It can prevent over training and under training, and keep you in your target zone so you can train efficiently and effectively.
4. Honest bathroom cleaner - The very first night I arrived in California after driving across the country, I was craving a bath. So I filled the tub and got in, kindle in hand. I was in there no longer than three minutes when I felt my skin start to tingle. Like painfully so. I got out and my whole body was red and sort of burning. I saw the bleach next to the tub and since the whole place had just been professionally cleaned I realized I basically had just sat in a bleach bath. (Don't worry, I googled to see if I was in any danger and apparently people do them, like, by choice!) Anyway, I wouldn't recommend a bleach bath because it is not at all enjoyable, so prevent that from happening by using an effective yet totally non-toxic cleaner like Honest. This is included in the giveaway!
5. VSL#3 Probiotics - I have been using these probiotics for years and they're fantastic. They're super high quality and work by populating the gut with good bacteria to help improve digestive health. The only downside to them is their price tag, but the good news is that a huge sample is included in the giveaway! Please note: This is a medical grade product. Make sure you talk with your doctor before starting any new health regimen.
The Giveaway (now closed)
So let's get to it. This giveaway includes:
-two beeswax candles from Big Dipper Wax Works
-a bottle of Honest bathroom cleaner
-a large sample of VSL#3 probiotics (probably enough to last you 6 weeks or so I'd say)
The giveaway is open to anyone in the continental USA, and all you have to do is leave a comment below telling me what you like to do to stay healthy. I'll pick a winner at random on Friday, June 6th, 2014, so make sure to check back then and see if it's you!
The winner is Ariane W! Congrats!